Thursday, June 23, 2011


The past two weeks I've been unable to make the transfers up to my sewing room, so I'm working on small projects that could be brought downstairs. Mostly, buttons.

For Adam's doublet, I've made 14 thread wrapped buttons.  They were made by wrapping embroidery thread around wooden beads, using the tutorial found at The Renaissance Tailor.  The buttons are time consuming, but I think they'll look great on the finished project. 

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Italian Chemise

My chemise for the competition was made from a very lightweight linen I found on sale online.  The pattern used was Margo Anderson's low neck smock pattern.  After sewing what feels like a hundred of these, I wanted to do something a little different to  help it stand out a little bit.  The embroidery on the neckline, sleeves, hem and french seams were all machine done. 

The cuffs were smocked, inspired by an existing chemise seen in Moda a Firenze.  The cuffs were then embroidered and trimmed in lace to match the neckline.