Sunday, March 27, 2011

Purple Early Italian Gown


This gown was a pretty quick and dirty project for my sister.  I'm not sure where we were going that she needed a dress, but the whole thing was made in a short amount of time and without her to try it on.  As a result, I think it looks pretty good for what it is.  Someday I'd like to redo some parts of it, but in the meantime, it works.

I don't remember what pattern was used for this dress.  The chemise is white linen and pleated at the neckline.  The undergown is heavy purple satin and laces up the back of the bodice.  The neckline is trimmed in gold braid.

The overgown is made from red and gold damask with pearls at the neckline.  It opens down the sides.  Her belt was made from a length of tan silk and the pin at the bust was an old jewelry piece.


The sleeves are made from purple damask from my stash that happened to match the underdress.  The sleeves are one aspect that I would like to change, as they tie on with heavy purple cord that's too slippery and likes to come untied. 

The same fabric was used to make her caul.


No comments: